Thursday, December 30, 2010

16/365 Rule of Thirds (take two)

The Daily Shoot: The rule of thirds is a time-honored composition guideline. Put it to use today in a photo.

I posted the first photo (of each image) initially. Something didn't seem quite right. I read about rule of thirds. I was remembering the rule wrong. Here is what I learned.

The rule states that an image should be imagined as divided into nine equal parts by two equally-spaced horizontal lines and two equally-spaced vertical lines, and that important compositional elements should be placed along these lines or their intersections.

F/5.6, 300 mm, 1/3000
The above composition did not fully follow the rule.
Below is the cropped image using the eye as the center of interest and placing it on an intersection of lines.


Tell me what you think of the change.

I made the same adjustments using a grid of thirds in recomposing to the second image below from the first image below.
F/5.6, 300 mm, 1/250


So what do you think of the changes to the birds of Locke Paddon Park (Marina, California)? Improvement?

7 comments:

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Levonne,
Apologize for the comment removal...
Good morning from Asia on this last day of 2010.
I think the Rule of 3rd was well executed plus I like the selected focus on the 2nd image with good colors and composition.
Greetings and Happy New Year 2011.

parker said...

Oh Yes! You nailed it!

The only thing you missed was a Third Pic!

Good subject matter for you Rule of Thirds exercise. NICE!

Sue and Doug said...

thanks for the great photos once again!..and the 'thirds rule'!!

greygirl25 said...

Very nice job cropping. I rely on that grid all of the time.

Rune Eide said...

Very nice use of the rule of thirds!

I wish you a Happy New Photo Year!

PS The rule of third is in reality a simplification of the Golden Ratio. This is implemented or can be so in many of the common photo editors.

Christine Stonebridge said...

Hi Levonne :) I'm loving your new series. The "rule" is one of the first tips I came across (and among the most helpful) on trying to advance my skills. But I think it's also subjective, based on the viewer (what interests or catches their eye). I like the first one (white duck) in it's original form, because I think the wake and reflection of his beak adds interest and flow. The second cropped image of the pair of ducks feels spot-on to my eye. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and your beautiful photos!